A story about how I landed two long-shot interviews…and then started my own business
Having girlfriends that live far away is the pits. I miss these two so much!
Amanda (left) is in Burlington, Iowa and Emily (right) is in Boston. I am so glad they got to be part of our wedding, but I’m so sad about how little we get to see each other on a regular basis.
This morning, Brandon had class, so I took advantage of the weather and went for a 5 mile hike at Lincoln Memorial Gardens.
I did get lost at one point and even got scratched by a branch, so it was officially HIKING. Thank God for Google Maps on my phone. No water bottle, no compass…such a noob.
Anyways, it was beautiful and I feel like one with nature now so all is right in my world.
Now that it’s finally getting nice out, I thought I’d share some of my favorite spring cosmetics. I love incorporating light colors (I’m still pale!) as well as some pastels, because every day I just want to dress like an Easter egg.
2. Stila pink sugar gloss (Birchbox)
3. Essie- Any nude color. The one shown is called Sandy Beach.
4. Clinique even better concealer. Expensive, but great for highlighting!
5. Bahama Mama bronzer from The Balm
6. Posie Tint cheek stain by Benefit
6. Sephora’s Go Brow kit—awesome!
I’d been searching for this lovely, flowy peach dress from Asos since I saw it on Melissa (lower photos in that post) several months ago. I finally found one on Ebay, but it was a size 8.
I got it anyway and hoped to have it altered…but with no luck. So, now it needs a new home. Any size 8 (medium) ladies out there looking for a pretty peach dress? I have it listed on Ebay here.
I was listening to the most recent episode of This American Life today on my run, and was so intrigued by Act 2, which talked about ASMR (which is basically a tingling sensation felt in the head and scalp in response to auditory or visual stimuli.)
I, too, have noticed this phenomenon and am especially captivated by makeup tutorials—specifically ones where the person speaking has an accent and slowly applies makeup. Lauren Curtis’s YouTube channel does it for me. I also vividly remember my fascination during show ‘n tell when kids would bring in a toy or small item and handle it very delicately, making small clinking noises as they gingerly showcased it. Other people who experience ASMR are fascinated with whispering, but that doesn’t work for me.
Basically, when it does happen, it puts me in a trance-like state where my mind becomes very even and…well…just tingly feeling. There’s no other way to explain it.
Sound bizarre? It is. But there’s a whole sub-Reddit dedicated to it. Who knew this was a thing? Anyone else out there understand what I’m talking about?
It’s time again for Book and a Swimsuit!
The Book: Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
Want to immerse yourself in the world of two bored rich twenty-somethings in the 1950’s? This novella (albeit not the most uplifting in tone) tells the story of a brother and sister who are just…tired of everything. Basically, they think people suck.
The swimsuit: from Modcloth—fits the 1950’s look. Plus, you can snack on whatever you want while you read—those high-waisted bottoms are really flattering. I wish I owned this suit.
I haven’t shared this engagement picture yet, but Friday was already our 6 month anniversary, so it seems appropriate. We had an AWESOME dinner (lobster bisque, shrimp, crab cakes, and cheesecake…so, heaven, basically) at one of my favorite restaurants and saw Grand Budapest Hotel (which was different from any of the other Wes Anderson movies I’ve seen. Not bad, but not as cutesy as I’m used to.)
Hooray for marriage!
Today I’d like to share a few things that are making me happy.
1. Portlandia- I watched this several years ago and never really got into it, but for some reason, I’m loving it now. Maybe I didn’t give it a fair enough chance. A job where you get to be a hyperbole of people and get paid for it? Perfection.
2. Julianne Hough’s outfit. Where can I find something like this that doesn’t cost a fortune?
3. This Jillian Michaels workout video. I hate it while I’m doing it, but it makes me so sweaty and so sore so you know it’s good!
4. Water with lemon. Since I’m pretty much only drinking water right now, I’ve discovered that adding lemon makes me want to drink the full 8 cups a day. So refreshing!
What about you?
Things I can’t wait to wear: new dresses! Hurry up warm weather…I’m tired of pants.
Melon: TJ Maxx